Association ARBITRI, in cooperation with the Commercial Law Development Program of the U.S. Department of Commerce and Wolf Theiss, with the support of the Foreign Trade Chamber of B&H organized the 2nd Sarajevo Arbitration Day on Friday, April 15th 2016.
The conference was divided into three Panel discussions, each consisting of three presentations by eminent speakers on the various contemporary issues in arbitration and the most recent developments. The presentations themselves were very informative and dynamic. The Panel discussions were organized as follows:
Panel Discussion I – Use of Arbitration in Construction and Infrastructure Projects
- Ceyda Akbal Schwimann, Wolf Theiss– Energy and infrastructure arbitration, recent practices and developments
- Noor Kadhim, Associate at Joseph Hage Aaronson, London, Former Deputy Counsel at the Secretariat of ICC – The pitfalls of arbitrating with State entities in construction/ energy projects
- Dr. Mile Lasić, arbitrator, Bosnia and Herzegovina –Investment Arbitration in Bosnia and Herzegovina – BITs and role of the Courts.
Panel Discussion II – Specific Issues in Arbitration: Major Changes and Recent Highlights
- Patricia Živković, S.J.D. Candidate (Central European University) – Third Party Funding in Investment Arbitration
- Vladimir Pavić, arbitrator, Serbia– Pre-Arbitration Steps
- Lee M. Caplan, Partner at Arent Fox office in DC – Multi-Tier Dispute Resolution Clauses
Panel III – Prospective local and regional arbitration venues
- Vesna Tokić, Secretary of the Arbitration Court of BiH – Arbitration Court of BiH – recent developments and practices
- Ivana Blagojević, Deputy Counsel at the Secretariat of ICC –General Principles of ICC Arbitration and Their Advantages in the Region
- Szucsich Marko, arbitrator at Vienna International Arbitral Center –Vienna International Arbitral Center.
The discussions which followed each presentation and the numerous questions from the participants reflected the level of understanding and growing interest the topics related to international arbitration among legal professionals in Bosnia and Herzegovina.